Full Subject Title
Subject at Harris Academy Bromley:
At Harris Academy Bromley, the PSHE programme endeavours to incorporate an overview for students regarding Health and Wellbeing, Relationships and Living in the Wider World.
PSHE education is a school subject through which pupils develop the knowledge, skills and attributes they need to keep themselves healthy and safe, and prepare for life and work in the modern world.
Health and wellbeing:
- How to manage transition
- How to maintain physical, mental and emotional health and wellbeing including sexual health*
- About parenthood and the consequences of teenage pregnancy
How to assess and manage risks to health and to stay, and keep others, safe
How to identify and access help, advice and support
- How to make informed choices about health and wellbeing matters including drugs, alcohol and tobacco; maintaining a balanced diet; physical activity; emotional health and wellbeing and sexual health
- How to respond in an emergency including administering first aid
- The role and influence of the media on lifestyle.
- How to develop and maintain a variety of healthy relationships within a range of social/cultural contexts and to develop parenting skills
- How to recognise and manage emotions within a range of relationships
- How to deal with risky or negative relationships including all forms of bullying (including the distinct challenges posed by online bullying) and abuse, sexual and other violence and online encounters
- About the concept of consent in a variety of contexts (including in sexual relationships)
- About managing loss including bereavement, separation and divorce
- To respect equality and be a productive member of a diverse community
- How to identify and access appropriate advice and support.
Living in the Wider World -– economic wellbeing, careers, faith and world of work
- About rights and responsibilities as members of diverse communities, as active citizens and participants in the local and national economy
- How to make informed choices and be enterprising and ambitious
- How to develop employability, team working and leadership skills and develop flexibility and resilience
- About the economic and business environment
- How personal financial choices can affect oneself and others and about rights and responsibilities as consumers.
Any parent who wants to withdraw their daughter from the sex education sessions must write to the Principal outlining their reasons for this.