Community Action & Charity
At Harris Girls’ Academy Bromley we strive to support all students to be active members of their community.
We believe that empowering students to take action against injustice and support those in need develops confidence, agency and empathy, as well as strengthening our school and wider community.
Each half term we will support a charity or cause chosen by students and support them in leading this. By guiding them through research, we will decide on a course of action to best support the cause. They are assisted in raising awareness, planning and carrying out the charity event of their choice.
In Autumn Term, our focus is on Charity Championships, where students compete across faculties to collect items needed by local foodbanks and take part in a Christmas Hamper Appeal.
In Spring Term, the focus shifts to supporting causes affecting women and girls through awareness and fundraising campaigns.
We end the year by learning about different forms of volunteering and run an individual volunteering competition, where students are encouraged to submit any volunteering they do during June. This will then be celebrated during celebration assembly.
So far this year...
This year we have:
- raised over £173 for Lewisham Donations Hub, and supported Palestinian refugees through a Bake Sale held by the Humanitarian society
- collected 300 bottles of shampoo for Bromley Brighter Beginnings Christmas hampers
- raised £370 for Stonewall through a badge and bake sale held by the Student Commission and staff
- raised awareness of the challenges faced by care leavers in Bromley and Lewisham by planning running a staff netball match and raising £300 for Become, a charity supporting care leavers
- volunteered at Beckenham Place Junior park run to help young people in being active
- supported students in the Sixth Form to volunteer weekly at local primary schools and a local community centre.
The charity and social action focus across the school is student led by Citizenship students and members of the Humanitarian and Social Action Society, and we would encourage all students to get involved.
Any student wishing to commit to leading a charity event should email firstname.lastname@example.org