Download our FREE smartphone app today!
The English curriculum at Harris Girls’ Academy Bromley offers students the opportunity to explore a diverse selection of texts spanning time periods, cultures and genres.
Students study a broad range of poetry, plays, short stories and novels. Each text has been selected to contribute to the students wider understand of literature and to promote a lifelong love of literature.
Through exploration of these texts we encourage students to develop their own personal interest in literature. The curriculum is designed to build students empathy and explore wider concepts using the texts as a springboard to discuss the world around us.
Throughout their studies students practice and hone their writing, reading, speaking and listening skills. In English Language, we explore the foundations of the English Language and students will learn to craft non-fiction and creative writing using real world examples.
Curriculum plan - further details of the curriculum can be found in the curriculum plan below.
A more detailed breakdown regarding subject content can be found on the exam board website using the following links:
Textbooks and useful resources
Year 12 and 13
EDEXCEL AS/ A Level English Literature
- York Notes Advanced/ Phillip Allan study guides on texts studied.
Year 10 and 11
- CGP study guides: New GCSE English Language AQA Complete Revision & Practice - for the Grade 9-1 Course
- New Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar for GCSE Study Guide
AQA Literature – CGP study guides:
- GCSE English Text Guide - An Inspector Calls
- GCSE English Text Guide – A Christmas Carol
- GCSE English Text Guide – Great Expectations
- GCSE English Text Guide – Macbeth
- New GCSE English Literature AQA Poetry Guide: Love & Relationships Anthology - the Grade 9-1 Course
- New GCSE English Literature AQA Complete Revision & Practice - for the Grade 9-1 Course