Students will develop a deeper knowledge of democracy, government and law. Currently this subject is only taught at Year 12.
The intention of the course is:
- to help develop an informed understanding of contemporary political structures within the United Kingdom (UK) and the USA
- develop a critical awareness of the changing nature of politics and the relationships between political ideas, institutions and processes
- develop knowledge and an informed understanding of the influences and interests which have an impact on decisions in government and politics
- develop knowledge and an informed understanding of the rights and responsibilities of individuals and groups
- develop the ability to critically analyse, interpret and evaluate political information to form arguments and make judgements
- develop an interest in, and engagement with, contemporary politics.
Based on the principles listed above, we have developed an assessment plan that can help students demonstrate their knowledge and understanding (AO1 skills), depth perception and comparative analysis (AO2 skills) and evaluation (AO3 skills).
Curriculum plan - further details of the curriculum can be found in the curriculum plan below.